In a country where about half of all marriages result in divorce, marriage can end for a variety of reasons. Career site Zippia investigated how likely people’s occupations contributed to their decision to divorce. According to the new study, researchers compiled data from the U.S. Census Bureau to find out the careers with the highest and lowest divorce rates.
Researchers looked at specific divorce rates based on individual positions by age 30, finding that three different military jobs land spots in the the top 10 worst careers for your marriage, where the number one ranked job was First-Line Enlisted Military Supervisors at a 30% divorce rate. Several other engineers and technicians make up the rest of the list.
- First-Line Enlisted Military Supervisors
- Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics
- Military Enlisted Tactical Operations and Air Weapons
- Chemical Technicians
- Military, Rank Not Specified
- Nonfarm Animal Caretakers
- Library Assistants, Clerical
- Engineering Technicians, Except Drafters
- Diagnostic Related Technologists and Technicians
- Medical Assistants
- Administrative Service Managers
- Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment
- Tax Examiners and Collectors and Revenue Agents
On the other end of the study, researchers also found a list of jobs that are less likely for couples to end their marriages. While most of the jobs in the above list rank with an 8-30% likelihood of divorce, the following careers turned out to only have an approximately 5% likelihood of ending in divorce.
- Television, Video, and Motion Picture Camera Operators
- Religious Workers
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Management Analysts
- Architectural and Engineering Managers
- Chief Executives and Legislators
- Transportation, Storage, and Distribution Managers
- Miscellaneous Legal Support Workers
- Special Education Teachers
- Sales and Related Workers
- Military Officer Special and Tactical Operations Leaders
- Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm
- Travel Nurses
- Personal Care and Service Workers
The good new is: Every marriage is different. So even if you or your spouse have a career in the “worst” category, don’t take it too much to heart.
Leave a Reply