Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme 2024/25
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) is a fully-funded program that aims to attract the best and brightest students from around the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong’s universities. The scheme provides a competitive annual stipend and conference and research-related travel allowance per year up to three years.
Who can apply?
Candidates seeking admission as new full-time PhD students in the eight UGC-funded universities in Hong Kong, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience, and ethnic background are eligible to apply.
About the award
The HKPFS provides a competitive annual stipend of HK$331,200 (approximately US$42,460) and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,800 (approximately US$1,760) per year. The award covers the full cost of tuition fees, living expenses, and research expenses.
How to apply
The application process for the HKPFS is divided into two steps:
- Initial application: Applicants must first make an initial application to the RGC through the online system at https://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/InitApplication.jsp. This will give you an HKPFS Reference Number, which you will need to submit your full application to the university of your choice.
- Full application: After receiving your HKPFS Reference Number, you must submit a full application to the university of your choice. The application requirements vary from university to university, so please check with the university directly.
The deadline for the initial application is 1 December 2023.
For more information, please visit the HKPFS website at http://www.rgc.edu.hk/hkphd.
Here are some of the benefits of the HKPFS:
- Fully-funded: The HKPFS covers the full cost of tuition fees, living expenses, and research expenses.
- Prestigious: The HKPFS is a highly competitive program, and being awarded a fellowship is a great honor.
- International: The HKPFS attracts students from all over the world, providing you with the opportunity to meet and learn from other talented individuals.
- Collaborative: The HKPFS encourages research collaboration between students and faculty members from different universities.
- Research-intensive: The HKPFS is designed to support students who are passionate about research.
If you are a talented student who is interested in pursuing a PhD in Hong Kong, the HKPFS is a great opportunity for you.