Nurses are humans too. They do become ‘superhuman’ sometimes, absorbing other people’s problems and troubles. But since they are humans too, they are vulnerable to traumas and stresses life will bring. Because like any other normal human being, nurses have their limits too.
So, how can nurses overcome these difficult times of their lives? Here are some tips that could help nurses deal with it.
1. Focus. Have the presence of mind. Too many worries and problems may cause for a nurse to rattle and be confused. It would be great if nurses can still focus and have the great presence of mind while trying to deal and and think of a way on how to solve the situation.
2. Trust your flexibility. There is a big possibility that you’ve already been in the same situation before. You just have to think over what you have done then. Think of your inner strength that you’ve used to overcome the difficulty. Analyze thoroughly the problem you are facing, and then searched within you the strength you could use to solve it. There is always your natural inner strength that will become your power to handle the problem.
3. Foresee your victory. Look at your situation as your stepping stone to achieve the success you wanted the most. Visualize what you have or what you should do to be able to move to the next chapter of your life as a grown up person and nurse. Think of out of the box solutions. Think of new positive visions and descriptions for yourself which you’ll carry on to the next phase of your life.
4. Forgive and Forget. Past experiences that have hurt you the most or people who may have caused them intentionally or unintentionally should be forgiven and forgotten. It is you who carries the burden of this past, so you should forgive, forget and move on. You will not be able to face future problems that may somehow be related to the hurtful past you’ve had if you can’t forgive and forget. If you keep on holding grudge over someone or something, you will not successfully grow as an individual.
5. Welcome support. No man is an island. It is a saying identifying that no person will be alone forever. You have family, relatives and friends that is willing to give you all the support you need in any situation you’re at. Don’t let your pride get in the way. Sharing your burden or problems with other people will lighten the burden you have. Their advises may be helpful in your situation. So don’t close your door to other people.
6. Take care of yourself. Nurses should also take care of themselves, next to their priority of taking care of their patients. Nurses shouldn’t abuse and overstressed themselves over matters at work. Have time to nourish yourself. Take a break. Do the things you loved to do that could make you feel relaxed. Go to places or be with people you feel good to have around. Because having such good times and being with people that gives you positive vibes will renew you. You may not realized it but these things refreshes you.